Key features of the Maine seaside rental property
- 1500 sq feet of living space.
- Over 300 feet of ocean waterfront on a tidal basin of the broad New Meadows River, which is an “embayment” or a very large oceanic cove, only a few miles to the open ocean of Casco Bay.
- Association dock and common property about 500 feet from the property — maybe 3 minute walk. There’s not what we would call a beach, but you could swim off the dock when the tide is in. (A late afternoon high tide means the water won’t be totally “Maine cold”.) Renters do not have “docking privileges.” That is, you cannot dock a motor boat. But you’re welcome to enjoy the dock or launch a kayak from it, at your own risk. Seaspray Kayaking is located on Route 1 where it crosses the New Meadows River, less than 15 minutes drive from the house.
- Full water views from the house and deck. Lobster boats are frequently in view.
- Stunning sun rises (though they’re best in the fall and winter).
- Lots of bird life at the shore and in the yard in good part due to the nature of the water frontage. Pileated woodpeckers, wild turkeys, bald eagles, and osprey are visitors to our yard, and the shore birds feature herons, egrets, and many others.
- 2+ bedrooms. Sleeps 4 comfortably. Can accommodate slightly more.
- 1 3/4 baths. (one bathroom has tub w/shower, the other shower only)
- Bedroom and bath on the first floor, making the home comfortable for those for whom stairs are a challenge. Our YouTube video will show you the 4 steps to get onto the deck which is on the same level as the first floor.
- Open-floor concept with cathedral ceiling over the living and dining room areas.
- Large wrap-around deck.
- Gas stove in living room.
- Very large yard — about 1 acre of front lawn. Partially wooded, 2 acre lot. Very private. Only one neighbor’s house can be seen.
- Washer & dryer in basement.
- Detached oversized 2-car garage.
- Wireless internet access via cable modem. 20 mbs download speed. (Bring your own laptop.) Cable TV. DVD. Stereo with iPod cradles — though for the old Apple plug.
- Pet friendly. See our pet policy below.
- Linen service (which is use of our linens) and at least a starter supply of other basic household consumables – e.g., dish soap, laundry detergent, paper goods. (We’ve rented homes where we immediately had to go shopping for basic, but critical goods. We don’t want you to have that experience; it’s such a bad first impression. Given the short turnover time for our cleaner to ready the house, we can’t be 100% certain everything will be stocked, but we do try.)
- Automatic backup generator all wired in and waiting for a power outage. This is a real nice-to-have in coastal Maine.
Property & Rental Details — Got more questions?
Rental Fees for 2016
May 1 to May 26……….. $1000/week
May 27 to June 30…….. $1400/week
July 1 to Sept. 9…………. $1800/week
Sept. 10 to Oct. 10…….. $1400/week
Oct. 10 to December…. $1000/week
Rental Fee Details…
- Above fees for a rental party of 6 or fewer. Additional people are $5 per person per night.
- Maine sales tax of 8% will be added to rental total.
- Rental period in peak summer season is from Saturday 3 pm to Saturday 10 am.
- Long weekend rentals are available off-peak season, including Bowdoin event weekends.
- Minimum stay is 3 nights. We prorate the weekly rate and add a $25/night weekend premium.
- Rentals of a week or more have the $100 cleaning fee waived.
- For long-term rentals from October to May, please contact us.
- Pets policy below.
- 50% deposit required at time of contract to hold the rental period.
- Balance due 1 month prior to rental.
- We accept personal checks and MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and Amex.
- 4% surcharge for credit card use.
Damage Security Deposit
- $500 security damage deposit due with final rental payment. This may be paid with a check or credit card.
- Security deposit refunded pending review of premises upon departure.
- Refund of deposit in full if cancellation 30 days prior to rental period. Cancellation less than 30 days prior to rental period will be refunded, less 10%, if we can rent the house for the rental period. However, credit card surcharge fees would not be refunded (if applicable).
- We will consider having your pets as our guest, but we do ask for an extra $100 damage security deposit per pet and a $50 rental fee per week per pet for the extra wear & tear and cleaning requirements. (We’re pet lovers — our cats, Alvin & Simon, are visitors to the house — but we know that pets can do damage.) Tell us about your pets, please!
- If you have serious pet allergies, this may not be the house for you. (We have relatives with mild pet allergies, and they’ve been fine.) The house is professionally cleaned between visits, and we shampoo the rugs spring and fall. But some pet dander is likely to linger. We can tell you the time — and thus number of cleanings — since the last pet guest.
- Washer & Dryer in basement
- 2 car detached garage
- Propane stove in living room
- Large wrap around deck with gas & charcoal grills
- 2 deck tables with umbrellas and chairs.
- Automatic backup electric generator all wired up and waiting for a power failure.
- We try to stock at least starter supplies of basic consumables, e.g., paper towels, tp, dish soap, laundry detergent.
- 1 Queen — with 4″ memory foam cover
- 1 Double — with 4″ memory foam cover
- 1 Sleeper couch
- 1 Futon couch that folds down into a Full size bed, though the futon “mattress” can easily be moved by itself for use as a bed.
- Linen service included (That means we provide clean bedsheets and towels at the start of your stay for your use. We don’t do laundry during your stay.)
- Cable TV with DVD player in living room.
- Cable broadband internet with WiFi. No computer or printer provided. Bring your own laptop please.
Stereo with iPod cradle — old Apple plug.
- All appliances: oven, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, coffee maker, coffee bean grinder, toaster, blender, cookware, dishes, glassware, mixing bowls, all utensils, lobster pot (of course) and lobster picks & crackers. If we’re missing something, please tell us.
View & Location
- 315 feet of ocean frontage on the New Meadows River, an “embayment” or large cove of Casco Bay. Full water views from the east-facing house. Our frontage is a tidal basin. This makes for changing scenery with the tides and lots of bird life. It is not beachfront. (You won’t find many beachfront rentals north of Portland.) But you can swim off the dock at high to mid tide.
- Cell phone coverage varies with network. Verizon, T-Mobile, and ATT coverage is very good according to friends, neighbors, and past renters. We have Sprint & ATT. We get an acceptable Sprint signal on the deck, but not in the house. Sprint signal is pretty good at the dock. Cell coverage way down the peninsulas is poor for all services due to the hills.
- Very large yard, good for a challenging croquet game. It has a slight slope that makes volleyball or soccer game a little tougher.
- Association dock very close by, leisurely 3 minute walk. A great spot just to watch the world go by or launch a kayak.
- Very private, quiet location, yet an easy 10-15 minutes to shopping and highways for day trips.