Survey Design Workshop
Survey Project Management
- What is a survey?
- What are we measuring in a survey?
- What are the types of surveys?
- Why is a set of research objectives important at the start of a project?
- What resources — people & budget — are needed for a successful survey project?
Questionnaire Design (Instrument Design)
- What are the steps in designing a survey instrument?
- What are the three categories of survey questions?
- What are the proper uses of demographic questions?
- How can we identify the questions we need to ask about service performance?
- Ideally, what would we like to know about each area of service performance?
- What is a focus group? A critical incident study?
- Why are pilot tests so critical?
- What are the elements of a questionnaire?
- What are typical concerns when putting together the instrument?
- What are typical errors in question construction?
- What types of biases can the respondent bring to the survey process?
Questionnaire Design (continued)
- What are the categories of question types and data types each generates?
- What are the advantages of each question type and the concerns when designing each type of question?
- How should scales be constructed? Scale length, anchoring options, scale presentation, scale direction, etc.
- What are the options for formatting a survey?
- What’s the best way to measure Importance?
- How can questionnaires be designed to generate more granular, actionable data?
- What are the steps in the administration process?
- What are the different methods for administering a survey?
- What criteria should be considered when selecting a method?
- How does each method rate on those criteria?
- How do mobile devices affect survey projects?
- What are common biases that can be introduced by each administration method?
- What particular issues might I confront when surveying electronically, by hardcopy, or by telephone?
- How is the sample actually generated?
- How do I calculate how large a sample I need?
- How do I determine the statistical confidence I should have in my results based on the number of responses?
- How can I increase the response rate?
Survey Data Analysis Workshop
Basic Analysis of the Survey Data
- What first steps should I take when starting the analysis process?
- Why is data cleansing necessary?
- How can I analyze comments from open-ended questions and text from interviews?
- What type of analysis can I do for multiple choice questions? For ordinal scale questions? For interval rating scale questions, including likert scales?
- Is there a quicker way to generate descriptive statistics for a range of survey questions?
Advanced Statistical Analysis
- How can I answer “what if” questions when analyzing the data set?
- What if I want to examine the relationship between the responses across many survey questions?
- Do the results from this year’s survey differ from last year’s survey?
- Do the demographic segments in the respondent group differ in their survey results?
- How can I do all this analysis with a desktop spreadsheet tool?
Presentation of the Results
- What information should be included in the written report?
- How best to organize and present the results?
- What charts work best for each data type (question format)?
- What graphical techniques enhance readability?